Something I want to do is standardise the URLs used on the site. Once upon a time I had an idea of using subdomains for all my mini-sites, so
I got as far as setting up my blog on a subdomain and I changed my mind. (Or got lazy, I can’t remember now.) 11 years later I have now decided to bite the bullet and move from www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk to garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blog. It’s potentially going to involve a lot of work (and a little .htaccess wrangling) but it will be worth it in the long run.
WordPress doesn’t like blog sites
My plan was to create a new sub-site called “blog” but when I set up a WordPress multisite installation on my local machine to test how this would all work I encountered an unexpected problem. When you try to create a new site called “blog” WordPress multisite returns this error message:
The following words are reserved for use by WordPress functions and cannot be used as blog names: page, comments, blog, files, feed
The workaround I worked out, however, is pretty simple:
On the WordPress multisite default site, create a new page called “Blog”, with the URL of ‘/blog’. (On my localhost test site this has a URL of http://garethjmsaunders.shed/blog/.)
In Settings > Reading set the posts page to be your new “Blog” page.
Now import your blog into this site. (I imported it category by category, one at a time as I have a lot of posts.)
Of course, if you want your blog to use a different theme than the rest of the default site pages you will need to use a multiple theme plugin.
Reassuringly/disappointingly I wasn’t the only person to experience this annoyance. PC Pro published an article on Tuesday: Chrome update takes out Flash. The article highlighted a couple of things that I hadn’t realised:
Google was now ‘sandboxing’ Flash; in other words, any issues experienced with a particular website that uses Flash (e.g. malware) doesn’t spread beyond the tab that is running it.
The Adobe Flash plugin was crashing when there were multiple instances of Flash on a page.
The Google Chrome support forum has been a busy place of late, and I’ve been keeping a close eye on the thread entitled Chrome 10 – Flash Crashes.
I didn’t mean to switch from Firefox. I’d been a huge fan of Firefox since before version 1.0 was released. Hey! I even contributed financially to Mozilla’s appeal to raise money for the launch and my name was published with thousands of others in a full-page advert in the NYTimes in December 2004.
But Google Chrome was just so fast.
It started quickly (more quickly than Opera), it rendered Web pages quickly and being built on the WebKit engine it supported Web standards well and supported the latest HTML5 and CSS3 developments.
But since upgrading to Google Chrome 10 (and 10 beta) I’ve had nothing but trouble with the Adobe Shockwave Flash plugin crashing every few websites. Since Chrome 5 (released in June 2010) the Flash plugin now comes built-in to the browser, rather than relying on the separate plugin installation that Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer use.
It seems that I’m not the only person to experience this, which comes as something of a relief to me. There is currently a discussion on the Google Chrome help forum entitled ‘Chrome 10 – Flash Crashes’ which is making for an interesting read.
One suggested fix/workaround is this:
Go to about:plugins
Click on the [+] Details link (top right).
You’ll see two listings for Shockwave Flash. I’ve got “10.2 r154” and “10.2.r152”. The former is located in C:\Users, the later in C:\Windows\system.
The advice is to disable the built-in version (the C:\Users version).
I’ve been running this workaround all evening and as yet haven’t experienced a crash.
I’ll be watching this issue very closely… who knows, I may be moving to Opera 11.1 for a while very shortly.
Tuesday 15 March: that workaround didn’t last. Shockwave Flash has been crashing again this evening. So I’ve just re-enabled it, if that’s not going to do anything.
Wednesday 16 March: I’ve now updated to the Dev channel as someone said that version 11.0.696.12 dev was working fine for him without Flash crashing.
I’ll try the method I used before, which was to delete all the core WordPress files and upload them again manually, but in the meantime I found this WordPress plugin has done the job: Missed Scheduled.
By default the plugin is set to run every 15 minutes, but I’ve changed mine to 2 minutes by editing line 12:
define('MISSEDSCHEDULED_DELAY', 2); // Number is in minutes, change it according to your needs
If it turns out that uploading the files manually fixes the issue again I guess I’ll be running manual upgrades in future.