Today I upgraded my anti-virus protection to AVG Free 8.0 (from version 7.5).
I upgraded on another computer yesterday, which went well but I discovered that I didn’t really like the LinkScanner component installed.
So I disabled LinkScanner and discovered to my disappointment that the status icon in the notification area showed an error. At least in version 7.5 you could switch off error messages from particular components.
The AVG Free FAQ page, however, provides the answer and this is what I did:
- Download AVG Free 8.0
- Rename the downloaded file to something simple like avg.exe
- Move it to the root of the C: drive
- Create a shortcut to avg.exe on the desktop
- Edit the shortcut to read: c:avg.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
- Double-click the shortcut to run the installer
Now AVG Free 8.0 will install without the LinkScanner component installed.
I’ve just tested it and this method will also work if you already have AVG Free 8.0 installed with the LinkScanner. By running the installer again but with the REMOVE_FEATURE switches it will update your installation to remove the LinkScanner component.