I received an email today from someone who was having trouble upgrading from Microsoft Money 2004 to the last version, Microsoft Money 2005 (QFE2) UK. While opening his Money 2004 .MNY file in Money 2005, the program kept hanging.
Many Microsoft Money users are unaware there is a file repair tool bundled with the application.
The file is called salv.exe. You can find it in Windows Explorer here (assuming that you’ve installed it to the default location):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog. Then paste in the path above and click OK.
- Make sure you have a back-up of your original MNY file (note, as far as I am aware, the file repair tool can only repair MNY files, not Money Backup files).
- Repair file: Browse to your MNY file.
- Save as: Browse to a location for the your repaired file to be saved.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
The file repair tool will do its thing and hopefully you will be left with a usable Microsoft Money file. This tool has got me out of a few nervous situations.