We decided to separate our twin boys, and it turns out to have been the right decision. Each has bloomed where he has been planted, each has found his own confidence. While it’s not always been the easiest of paths for either of them, or us (and we’ve often found ourselves wondering if we made the right decision) I am so proud of both of them in how they have grown and matured during this academic year.
The Tamba resource is a short document, produced with Tamba’s support by the Hackney Learning Trust, that outlines the issues to consider. If you have twins or multiples who are heading to school soon then it’s certainly worth a read.
This afternoon—after having made sure that last night’s backup happened successfully—I upgraded my PC to Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit). It had been running Windows 8 Pro (64-bit), so just a 0.1 upgrade! Unlike last year’s botched attempt, this time it was successful and took less than an hour.
Only three applications complained:
8GadgetPack didn’t run until I’d installed the latest version.
Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 reported that it was incompatible. No problem: I’m not using a Windows Mobile phone now. I’ve uninstalled it.
SteelSeries Engine reported that it couldn’t initialize. I had suspected my SteelSeries Sensei mouse to be the main culprit in last year’s failed upgrade, so I wasn’t surprised. Downloading the latest version seems to have sorted this.
I’m still using two applications to tweak the Windows 8.1 experience:
Start8—Adds the classic start menu back to Windows 8/8.1.
Decor8—Personalizes the Windows 8/8.1 start and login screens.
What a relief to finally get it installed, and without any problems whatsoever. Dear Microsoft, I wish it had been this straight-forward seven months ago. But thank you.
I tweeted my progress through the upgrade:
Third attempt at upgrading to Windows 8.1… Hopefully this won't be the car crash that the first two attempts proved to be.
I first started using WordPress in 2003 not long after it had been forked from b2/cafelog. It was version 0.7, before they started using jazz-inspired code names for the releases.
There were no pages, only posts. Pages arrived in 2005, version 1.5 Strayhorn.
There was no plugin architecture: if you wanted to make changes to the functionality of the application then you had to edit the core files (and re-edit them every time you updated WordPress… which was all done manually, of course). Plugins arrived in 2004, version 1.2 Mingus.
There were no themes. Support for that also arrived in 2005, version 1.5 Strayhorn, and was greatly improved in 2010, version 3.0 Thelonious.
The media library was also very basic in those days. You actually had to add the absolute path of the media folder in your b2config.php file, like this: $fileupload_realpath = '/home/example/public_html/images';
Organize media into folders
The media library improved over the years but one thing I never got around to switching on was this one, now found in Settings > Media: “Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders”. I kind of wish I had now, because I have nearly 3,680 images sitting loose in /wp-content.
As part of my site migration from www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk to www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blog I am trying to plan the best way to move all these images into month- and year-based folders. If you have any thoughts please do leave them in the comments.
What I did discover, however, is that if I were to retrospectively upload an image today to the media library, say for a blog post dated 9 August 2007, WordPress will upload it to a directory for the month associated with the post (/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/) and not the month I actually uploaded it (May 2014).
However, the media library filter still lists the file as having been uploaded during May 2014.
Something I want to do is standardise the URLs used on the site. Once upon a time I had an idea of using subdomains for all my mini-sites, so
I got as far as setting up my blog on a subdomain and I changed my mind. (Or got lazy, I can’t remember now.) 11 years later I have now decided to bite the bullet and move from www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk to garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blog. It’s potentially going to involve a lot of work (and a little .htaccess wrangling) but it will be worth it in the long run.
WordPress doesn’t like blog sites
My plan was to create a new sub-site called “blog” but when I set up a WordPress multisite installation on my local machine to test how this would all work I encountered an unexpected problem. When you try to create a new site called “blog” WordPress multisite returns this error message:
The following words are reserved for use by WordPress functions and cannot be used as blog names: page, comments, blog, files, feed
The workaround I worked out, however, is pretty simple:
On the WordPress multisite default site, create a new page called “Blog”, with the URL of ‘/blog’. (On my localhost test site this has a URL of http://garethjmsaunders.shed/blog/.)
In Settings > Reading set the posts page to be your new “Blog” page.
Now import your blog into this site. (I imported it category by category, one at a time as I have a lot of posts.)
Of course, if you want your blog to use a different theme than the rest of the default site pages you will need to use a multiple theme plugin.