I’ve only just discovered this ‘easter egg’ (a joke or message intentionally hidden inside a computer program, movie, book, etc.) in Android 4.4.2 (KitKat).
- Open ‘Settings‘.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap ‘About phone‘ or ‘About tablet‘.
- Repeatedly tap the ‘Android version‘ option.
- A white ‘K’ will spin into view filling the black screen.
- Repeatedly tap the ‘K’, it will spin again until the screen turns red and the word ‘Android’ appears in the style of the KitKat logo.
I believe that this works for other versions of Android too:
- 2.3 (Gingerbread) shows an Android robot in a crowd of zombies.
- 3.x (Honeycomb) shows an Android bee.
- 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) shows a parody of Nyan cat.
- 4.1 (Jelly Bean) shows jelly beans which can be flicked around the screen.
- 4.3 (Jelly Bean) shows a red jelly bean, which when tapped again causes a smiling face to appear on the bean. Repeatedly tapping that shows the same beans as 4.1 plus sometimes a candy cane.
- 4.4 (KitKat) see above.