Jane took this video of Isaac giggling the other day, using her mobile phone. It makes me laugh every time I watch it. Isaac is one of the smiliest, happiest babies I’ve ever met: what a joy!
Annoyingly the original video was at 90° because of the phone interface (there is nothing to encourage you to record videos in landscape) but I used Free Video Flip and Rotate from DVDVideoSoft to rotate it.
Here’s something I really liked last week when I updated Twitter client MetroTwit: when the updater ran it actually told me why it was updating, what the bug fixes and new features were.
I wish more software was that helpful.
Rough sketch of how Reuben and Joshua’s room might be laid out with single beds.
This evening (Tuesday) Jane and I sat down to plan buying “big boy beds” for Reuben and Joshua. How can they be that old already?!
The bed rails are now ordered from Amazon and we’re planning a late-in-the-day trip to Ikea this week to pick up a couple of Malm single beds. Then they’ll need new duvets and duvet covers. Fireman Sam, anyone?
It’s all part of a cunning plan to get them used to sleeping in single beds before we go away on holiday next month.
After last month’s almost-a-post-a-day, I’ve hardly blogged at all this month. And there’s been a pretty good reason for it: I’ve been working most of the last three weeks on coding up the designs for the University of St Andrews’ 600th anniversary website, which went live yesterday.
Eat, breathe, sleep code
And I really do mean “most of the last three weeks”. I’d get home in the evening, help put the boys to bed, and then crack on with more code until sometime after midnight each night. I’d crash into bed for about 4 hours’ sleep before booting up the PC again and working for a couple of hours until the boys woke. Then it was breakfast and back to the office for… oh, more coding.
The design was by Edinburgh graphic design company Project and was the first web project that we’d worked on where an external company had mocked-up the design and passed it on to us as Photoshop ‘comps’. We were essentially coding up a design from photographs of a web page, which is a bit like handing a builder a photo of your dream home and saying, with a wave of the hand, “Make it so!”
It’s not our preferred way of working, if I’m honest. But they were brilliant at getting updated proofs to us. Anything involving image work takes hours so it was great having professional Photoshop-meisters on the other end of an email.
I’m going to blog about our experience of the project very soon on the St Andrews Web Team blog.
…and if that wasn’t exciting enough, I also had the Alumni pages to code up too.
Tonight was my first night off in weeks from working on the code. So I chose to blog about it instead!
This week I updated my Blueprint CSS framework cheat sheet for Blueprint v.1.0.1 which was released last month.
I mostly fixed a few typos, and added the new features that the latest version of the framework added: mostly HTML5 input attributes. I made the following changes:
- NEW—FORMS Added new HTML5 input attributes:
- NEW—IE FIXES Added
- FIX—FLOAT CLASSES
p .left and
p .right was showing the margins only for
- FIX—Page 2 was showing a completely different version number from page 1.
- CHANGE—Updated the list of URLs on page 2, removing one that is now redundant.
You can download it from the usual places including garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blueprint/
It’s released under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 UK license so feel free to use it, adapt it, whatever… The source document (in Microsoft Publisher 2010 format) is available on the site too.