One of my favourite Windows 7 gadgets is the Outlook Appointments gadget. As gadgets go it’s pretty simple: it shows me upcoming appointments. From Outlook.
But oddly, only when Outlook is open.
Anyhow, when I upgraded Microsoft Office from 2007 to 2010 a couple of weeks ago I discovered that it no longer worked … it just complained that it didn’t have the correct version of Outlook installed.
But there is a simple hack:
- Make sure that you can view hidden and system files (Control Panel > Folder Options > under View tab select “Show hidden files, folders, or drives”).
- Close the Outlook upcoming appointments gadget.
- In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\OutlookAppointmentsGadget.gadget\en-US\js\” where YOURNAME is the name of your user account.
- Open the file “outlook.vbs” with Notepad (or other text editor; personally I wouldn’t use WordPad).
- On lines 22 and 42 change the two occurrences of the number “12” to “14”.
- Save the file.
- Open the Outlook Appointments gadget again.
Outlook Tasks gadget
The same hack also works for the “Outlook Tasks” gadget.
It looks like someone has released pre-hacked versions of Appointments and Tasks called iOutlook which work with Outlook 2010. The iOutlook Appointments one now offers 3, 5 or 10 appointments.