Today I spotted a bug with Firebug 1.2.0b3 in Firefox 3.0. Here’s what I posted to the Firebug Google Group:
I’ve just upgraded to Firefox 3.0 (on Windows XP Pro) and have installed Firebug 1.2.0b3 but I’m having an issue with Firebug not responding once it has been opened in its own window. My colleague is experiencing the same issue, which we can repeat again and again, (which is reassuring that it’s not just me).
The issue seems to (sort of) resolve itself once the page has been refreshed (either in Firefox or Firebug), but this is certainly different behaviour from Firebug in Firefox 2.0.x.
Here’s what we do:
- Right-click on a page element and select “Inspect Element” from the context menu.
- Firebug opens in a panel at the bottom of the Firefox window.
- As expected the HTML tab is selected and if I hover over the tag elements in the left-hand pane it highlights those elements on the web page within Firefox. I can also open or close the various nodes by clicking on the [+] and [-] buttons.
- Now if I click the red icon at the right of the Firebug panel to “Open Firebug in New Window” the Firebug panel ‘leaps’ out of Firefox and appears in its own window, however, the functionality described above is now disabled: hovering over the HTML elements in the Firebug HTML pane no longer highlights anything within Firefox, and the [+] and [-] node buttons are now unresponsive. What does still work, however, is the bar beneath the menu bar in Firebug, the bar that begins: “Inspect Edit |”.
- If I then refresh the page in Firefox the functionality in Firebug is restored. Similarly, if I select View > Reload in Firebug.
- Now if I close the Firebug window, and then begin again by right-clicking something on the page and select “Inspect Element” Firebug opens in a panel at the bottom of the Firefox window but now everything is ‘frozen’ in the HTML panel again until I refresh the Firefox page. Clicking on the [+] and [-] node buttons do nothing. The issue is not resolved if I open Firebug in its own window by clicking on the Firebug button on the toolbar, either.
This appears to me to be a bug.
Within 30 minutes I got a response:
Probably a bug, we don’t usually use the open-in-own-window ourselves so we break it sometimes without knowing.
So I’ve logged it on the Google Code fbug bug list: Issue 823: Firebug 1.2.0b3 unresponsive in Firefox 3 when opened in own window.
I do hope that it gets fixed soon, as I use that feature all the time. Such are the benefits of having three monitors at work, and two at home.