Seemingly (according to my lovely, getting-geekier-every-day friend James Frost) Firefox 1.5 is exactly the same as Firefox 1.5 RC3, which means that they obviously didn’t find any other major bugs since Release Candidate (read: nearly finished version) 3– good skills! This is a major upgrade from the previous version (1.0.7.) and as well as including a number of security updates and bug fixes, it adds moveable tabs, improved pop-up blocking, and automatic updates of extensions and also for the browser itself.
A word of warning, however. If you use a lot of extensions (installable add-ons that extend the capabilities of your browser) check whether these have been updated for Firefox 1.5 before you upgrade. In Firefox 1.0.7 I had fifteen extensions installed. So far I now have twelve, including the two that installed by default.
My Firefox extensions Top Ten for Firefox 1.5:
- Download Manager Tweak 0.7.1 – A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
- ForecastFox 0.8.2.4 – Get international weather forecasts and display it in any toolbar or statusbar.
- Google Toolbar for Firefox – Adds a toolbar giving access to useful Google functions including the essential AutoFill options for quickly filling in online forms.
- IE View 1.2.7 – Launch pages in Internet Explorer from Firefox.
- Image Toolbar 0.6.1 – Provides easy access to common image functions.
- Image Zoom 0.2.1 – Adds zoom functionality for images.
- Spoofstick 1.05 – A simple way to detect spoofed websites. (Note: I had to manually edit the
install.rdfto get this to work in 1.5.)
- Tabbrowser Preferences 188.8.131.52 – Enhances control over some aspects of tabbed browsing.
- Tab X 0.9.2 – Adds a close tab button [x] to each of the browser tabs.
- Web Developer 0.9.4 – Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
Updated extensions that I’ve not found so far include PrintPreview, AutoFill (which is more comprehensive than the Google Toolbar offerings) and PDF Download. However, it looks like a million people and their brothers are trying to update all their extensions too as Mozdev is running very slowly indeed.