Tomorrow is my day off. What better way to enjoy my 24 hours of freedom than to reinstall Microsoft Windows XP Professional on my PC?!
Despite having been working with Windows since about 1995 I’m still not entirely sure what order to install updates, drivers and software. So before I plunge into it this time, I’ve been looking around for some good online guides to installing and tweaking Windows XP, ATi-based graphics cards and Creative SoundBlaster soundcards.
I’ve found the following very useful resources:
The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is the bit in your PC that makes helps it start up. It knows how much memory you have, what drives you have installed, and a whole lot more. Getting this right is essential.
- The BIOS Companion (PDF, 3.52 MB)
- BIOS Optimization Guide
Installing and Tweaking Windows XP
- The Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion is an amazing 166 pages of meaty goodness (or marrow-y goodness, if you’re a vegetarian computer-user). It covers everything from what the various parts of your PC are, through installation, to various tweaks and tips to keep it running at full speed.
- The Elder Geek’s guide to a Clean installation of Windows XP Professional
- The Elder Geek’s guide to a Clean installation of Windows XP Home
ATi Catalyst Tweak Guide
- Another Tweak Guides special, the ATi Catalyst Tweak Guide covers the installation (or upgrading) of the ATi device drivers as well as tweaking them for optimum performance.
- Those users who want a bit more adventure in their lives can install the Omega Drivers which are a ready-tweaked version of the ATi Catalyst drivers.
- (Of course, Tweak Guides also provide an NVidia Forceware Tweak Guide too.)
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2
- TechSpot have a Soundcard and Speakers Tweak Guide that includes a section on the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card.
I’ve got some reading to do now. So, if you’ll excuse me…