The ‘downside’ of a PC that works fine: Games!

Maybe it was a bad idea to fix my PC — everything seems to be working fine; I’ve had no problems with a fast clock or clicking during MP3 playback since I updated hardware drivers and BIOS on Thursday — I’ve discovered that not only does Star Wars Battlefront now work okay, but it is rather good, and erm … rather addictive!

But to ensure that I don’t get distracted too much with Battlefront I’ve installed Baldur’s Gate and Cluedo! I still have Colin McRae Rally versions 2.0 and 3 to install, as well as Heaven & Hell, and GTA III, and probably a few other gems.

I downloaded the massive (169 MB) Battlefront 1.2 upgrade patch this evening and installed it. While I can’t (yet) account for any of the stability improvements and bug fixes, I can say that the Tatooine Jabba’s Palace add-on is fantastic. It’s my favourite level so far. While I love Hoth (who wouldn’t want to be blasting away at an AT-AT!) the close combat in the confined spaces of Jabba’s palace adds a new level of tension. I love it!

Next, I want to see if we can get a network game going on our LAN. I suspect that the graphics card on Jane’s PC upstairs is going to let us down on that front, but her laptop might be up to the task. I’d like my brother, Eddie, to bring his PC over for a LAN party. I have a spare network port on the router, and an extra monitor he could use. (Are you reading this, Eddie?)

Cellardyke: locks, gloss and two smoking boilers

Back to Cellardyke this afternoon to meet a kind man from Scottish Gas, who priced a new boiler for us (nearly £3,000 inc VAT) while Jane and I tackled our snag list of bits and pieces left to do on the house. I went crazy with a tube of Polyfilla, while Jane began glossing a couple of windows (not the glass bit!), some skirting boards and the dreaded louvered cupboard doors in the main bedroom.

I was particularly proud of fixing the Yale lock on the front door. The trouble was two-fold: first, the lock was really stiff, and second, when the door was closed it didn’t sit flush against the door frame (architrave?). I managed to fix the stiffness problem by adjusting a couple of screws here, a couple of screws … actually, it turned out to be just the first set of screws. The second problem would require some careful measuring, a hammer, a chisel and some prayer. But, do you know, I managed it. I’m getting better at this controlled hacking-bits-of-wood-from-a-door lark. The door now sits flush to the frame when closed (so that it doesn’t bang back and forth when there is a wind) and has the added bonus of you being able to unlock it from the outside, without feeling that you’re a master locksmith carefully picking it open. I’m still glowing from that piece of craftsmanship.

This Thursday we do the mammoth Ikea run and buy furniture: a double bed, a bunk bed, two shelves, a wardrobe, a dining room table and six chairs. Then we may pop into Comet or Currys for a fridge. I can see that after shopping, I’m going to be spending most of my next day off building flat-pack furniture.