Liquid Rooms, Edinburgh
I think this is my fourth Fish gig; seems like more, somehow. I met up with friend Ricky Carvel before the gig; he had a friend with him, I had Jane. We timed the support act interval to perfection and walked in just as Fish’s band took the stage.
There wasn’t a great deal of banter this evening from Mr Derek W. ‘Fish’ Dick. Maybe it was the small, dark venue; maybe it was because this was his 40-odd-th date on the current tour that has seen him travelling around Europe and back to the UK.
Fish’s showmanship is exquisite, the first few songs were acted out, Fish wearing a wide-brimmed hat, Arab-like desert scarf wrapped around his neck and gentleman’s walking stick in hand, that revealed itself as a sword during The Perception of Johnny Punter, I recall.
I got a copy of the set-list at the end: it landed on me! It read as follows:
- Rookie (first 4 songs into each other)
- Moving Targets
- Jungle Ride (Fish talk in song)
- Perception (Guitar; house right starts, fish talk in song, heavy)
- Zoo Class
- Tiki 4
- Cliché (Big guitar solo house right)
- Innocent Party
- Plague (last 2 – keyboard heavy)
- Encore #1: Felini/Lucky/Exile/Market Square Heroes (keyboard start)
- Encore #2: Company
Bring on the next gig.